Rain, rain go away. It’s gloomy out there, so Eric and I are staying in and getting ready to watch the San Francisco 49ers game at home. Correction*: Eric is getting ready to actually watch it, I’m getting ready to tune in from time to time while doing Pilates, making lotions and lip balms (by a special request from a few friends and family members), and organizing our new Crate&Barrel credenza. We are not going to have special football food to mark this significant occasion, but we have a batch of frozen vegan enchiladas, made a week ago, that will go into the oven. Recipe for that coming soon.
Two days ago I had some cheddar cauliflower in the fridge. What to do? I love the bright yellow cauliflower even more than the purple. Since I have my Vitamix the decision was between mashed cauliflower and cauliflower soup. I was craving soup.
And because it looked lonely by itself, steamed kale made its way into the bowl. Green and yellow makes it look like spring.
cauliflower, medium head (about 4 cups)
2 cups vegetable broth
3/4 cup milk of choice (hemp or soy are good)
1 yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
juice of half a lemon
1 tsp dried parsley
1 Tbls nutritional yeast
1/2 bunch of kale
1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
pepper (to taste)
1. Steam the cauliflower until soft but not mushy. Set aside.
2. Meanwhile, sauté the onion and garlic in a drizzle of olive oil, until golden.
3. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat vegetable broth until hot. Stir in the milk, salt, pepper, parsley and stir.
4. Combine cauliflower, broth mixture, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, onion and garlic. Puree in blender on high until smooth.
5. Steam kale with a little bit of lemon juice and salt and pepper. Stir into the soup and top.
Of course, you can make the soup in a pot and use an emulsifier or food processor to to purre. I’m making the most of my Vitamix this time around.
You don’t need the cheese, you don’t need the cream, just a good “cheddar” cauliflower. I will have some for dinner tonight – perfect for a rainy day.