Easy Breakfast. Vegan + Gluten Free Mini Quiches

Whether your new year’s resolution is NOT to skip breakfast, or even if you already eat your breakfast every day (good for you!) and want to spice things up, I have a recipe that will get you out of your breakfast rut. We all know that eating breakfast is good for us; it speeds up our metabolism, and helps us avoid those doughnuts in the conference room, but only a few of us eat it every morning. The only way I’m able to get my breakfast before I’m out the door, is to make it ahead of time. One example is my recently discovered grab n’ go mini quiches that take about 30 minutes to prepare from start to finish. Make these ahead of time and freeze.

This vegansoy free, and gluten free quiche recipe is a complete accident.  Linda gave me a bag of Lucini Cinque e’ Cinque (good thing I’m writing, and not saying these words out loud) as Eric and I were almost out the door after the Christmas weekend. She asked me to give it a try. And try I did.

For the non-Italians, Cinque e’ Cinque is a chickpea frittata, made of chickpea flour. Lucini has a line of this chickpea mix already packaged up with instructions on the back, so it’s extremely easy to make. You can find a ready-to-go bag of the delicious Lucini frittata mix at your local grocery, specialty store or you can buy it online. Check HERE for places to buy.

Once I read the instructions on how to make this frittata, I knew it was a breakfast winner – it’s very easy to prepare and only calls for a few simple ingredients, water, chickpea flour, olive oil, and salt. But instead of making one big vegan quiche, I decided to make it in mini muffin tins so they would be easy to freeze and easy to grab for breakfast. I also chopped up whatever I had in the fridge to add different flavors to the minis – roasted peppers, olives, a red onion, pesto, basil, and cheese for Eric.

If you can’t find the Lucini mix, or don’t want to order it, don’t worry! You can use any garbanzo bean/chickpea flour (like Bob’s Red Mill) and follow the recipe below. As soon as I ran out of this stuff, I knew I had to make more. So I went to the store, bought some chickpea flour and made not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4 batches, just to get the measurements right. So this recipe  is tried and true.

Ingredients
2 1/2 cups chickpea/garbanzo bean flour
3 cups cold filtered water
3 Tbls olive oil
2 tsp salt
Cooking spray

Directions

1. Preheat your oven to 500°, and spray a large muffin tin with cooking spray. In a big bowl, whisk the chickpea flour, cold water, oil, and salt. Whisk it really well – make sure there are no lumps when you’re done.

2. Pour the quiche mix into a liquid measuring cup (for an easy pour) and then into your muffin tins.

3. This is where you can either leave them plain (which will still taste great) or add some flavor! I strongly encourage you to do this. Just chop up whatever you want to use and add to the tins.

For starters, I added a chopped, sautéed onion to the mix itself so all of them had onions. But if that’s not your style, just add whatever you wish. Combinations I tried include:

• roasted pepper, basil
  • pesto
  • olive, basil
  • basil, mozzarella (non-vegan for Eric)

4.  Bake for 14 minutes, then slightly open the oven door and bake for another 11 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven. Let them cool on a cooling rack for 10 minutes before serving. They should be smooth and creamy on the inside.

5. Freezing – this is the best part.  This recipe will make 12 mini quiches. If you want to freeze them, take them out of the tins after 10 minutes, and let them cool completely. Once cool, wrap each one in plastic wrap and then put in a freezer Ziploc bag. Make sure to get all the air out of the Ziploc (I use a straw to suck all the air out, but that’s just me :)). Once you’re ready to eat, take out of the freezer and microwave for 2-3 minutes.

All wrapped up and ready for the freezer. “NV” denotes the non-vegan minis, so that Eric doesn’t eat all of my breakfast treats :)

Each quiche is about 110 calories and a great source of protein. A couple of these quiches with your morning tea or coffee and some fruit is the perfect way to start off your day.

Other ideas for serving:

• add herbs to the mix and cook in a large pan so that the frittata gets crispy (and less creamy, like the quiche), serve as an appetizer or a side with dinner
  • serve a mini quiche on top of your chili, stew, or soup

Cheers to starting the day off right!

This entry was posted in Tasty Treats, Weekly Meal Plans and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

26 Comments

1. Linda
    Posted January 10, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

Maria, I just have to tell you that this recipe is a gem especially to those of us who are gluten free! Easy to make and very tasty which is sometimes hard to find in the gluten free world. I had fun making them and serving them to my friend this morning. And they are good cold too! I can be as creative as I want with the toppings. I hope you can pass on some more gluten free ideas!

• Posted January 10, 2012 at 10:59 pm | Permalink

Oh I’m so glad you like those! The plain ones are really good with a bowl of chili, too. I will work on GF recipes!

2. Posted April 9, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

These were delicious. I can’t believe how aromatic, beautiful, and kid-approved these quiches were! My 5 1/2-year old son is allergic to eggs, nuts, dairy, and wheat, so we pretty much wrote off quiche almost four years ago. These are the perfect replacement — only better because we didn’t have to deal with raw eggs, which make me feel sick anyway! Thank you for the wonderful recipe! You have a new devoted follower :)

• Posted April 9, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

Wonderful! So glad to hear that your family enjoyed them. And glad to have you as a follower :)

3. Posted June 1, 2012 at 10:26 am | Permalink

This is amazing, YUM!!!
    I shared with all my friends, family and special needs parents group!
    :-)

• Posted June 1, 2012 at 11:11 am | Permalink

I agree, I have made them several times, but none of them turned out as moist and delicious as the first time I made them. The first time I ground dried garbanzos in my Vitamix, and I’m thinking that’s what contributed toward the flavor. I used red onions, mushrooms, and fresh oregano each time. Delicious!

• Posted June 1, 2012 at 11:12 am | Permalink

Glad you liked these, Andrea! Reminds me that I need to make a batch too.

4. Margaret Janiszewski
    Posted January 13, 2013 at 6:06 am | Permalink

I haven’t found a recepie for quiche this good yet!! Thank you. I am vegan and gluten intolerant and refuse to cook differently for myself and my family. So, I am always on a lookout for receipts that both the hubbie and the kids will love. Thank you. This one is a winner.

5. Kathy K.
    Posted March 20, 2013 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

I’ve just started experimenting with garbanzo bean flour and this recipe sounded interesting. The quiche turned out moist but I thought 2 teaspoons of salt sounded like too much, so I cut it back to only one which was a mistake. I’ll follow the recipe next time and put all the salt in. I used sauteed red pepper and red onion and steamed broccoli. I also added fresh cilantro, fresh basil, and a little cheddar cheese. Next time, I’ll put more of all of those ingredients in each muffin cup. Thanks for a great recipe!

6. Michele
    Posted March 29, 2013 at 6:55 pm | Permalink

Funny how great minds think alike. I use just about the same batter to make egg-less omlets :) but I never thought to use it for quiches. Thanks for the great idea!

7. Michelle
    Posted May 20, 2013 at 11:38 am | Permalink

OH MY!! I found this recipe a couple days ago and was excited to try it…but I’ve learned to only make a half recipe of new things…because they often dont turn out or I dont like them. So thats what I did this time but my mom and I almost finished off the whole pan in one sitting. I will be making more ASAP. SO Happy to have found this. Thanks for sharing!!
    I made three kinds:
    1. Broccoli, cheddar (daiya “cheese”), white onion [lightly sauteed the onion and broccoli first]
    2. Purple onion, fresh basil, mushroom [again sauteed all but the basil first]
    3. Broccoli, chicken, mozza (daiya), bit of italian seasoning

• Posted May 20, 2013 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

Yum! The basil-mushroom sounds absolutely delicious. Glad you enjoyed them.

8. Posted June 23, 2013 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

Your creations constantly amaze me, these look awesome 😀

9. Shannon
    Posted September 21, 2013 at 11:11 am | Permalink

I went to my local health food store and couldn’t find any garbanzo bean flour :(. Are their any substitutes that you could recommend? I am not gluten free so if it has a wheat flour that would be fine too.

• Posted October 4, 2013 at 9:25 am | Permalink

I haven’t tried any other flour Shannon, but I would imagine that quinoa flour, or any other GF flour may work. I chose chickpea flour because of the nutrients.

10. Rebecca
    Posted September 29, 2013 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

Sounds like a winner :) though I cringed when you recommended popping them in the microwave. I’d stick them in a conventional oven to avoid irradiating these goodies.

11. Janine
    Posted October 26, 2013 at 2:12 am | Permalink

I just want to tell you that these are amazing! Thank you so much for this recipe. Due to food allergies, we are very limited (no wheat, peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, or soy — among other things!). I have been looking for a way to make quiche! I had a soy recipe that I used to use, but when soy popped up on the allergy list, I could not use that one any longer! This tops that one any day! I sauteed some spinach, green onions, and garlic together and added them to the quiche with a little bit of cheese and they were wonderful! Thanks again!

12. Grace Araujo
    Posted October 29, 2013 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

What an amazing recipe! I was sick of the taste and expense of gluten free bread. This is by far the best breakfast. Really yummy and filling.. I added 1/2 cup of salsa, 2 tbsp. of nutritional yeast( for a cheesy flavor since I am also vegan) cut the salt down a little and voila! Even my non vegan hubby loved them! They freeze well and it is so easy! Great job! Thanks! You are amazing and I love your site.I will experiment with more veggies and vegan cheese…

13. Susan
    Posted July 20, 2014 at 9:57 am | Permalink

Just made 4 options this morning:
    1) red onion, basil, mushroom
    2) broccoli, Daiya cheddar, red onion
    3) Field Roast vegan apple/maple breakfast sausage, mushroom, Daiy cheddar
    4) Field Roast vegan apple/maple breakfas sausage, mushroom

I cooked all but basil ahead of time, put in muffin tray, then poured batter over top.

Absolutely, out of this world, DELICIOUS!!!!!!
    Thank you!

14. AZJackie
    Posted July 28, 2014 at 11:15 am | Permalink

How delicious! You have created an easy quick tasty recipe. Also perfect for traveling. I added sun dried tomato pesto and baked them in muffin tins on medium on the gas grill and I couldn’t believe how wonderful they came out. I have MS removing egg, dairy, gluten, red meat, and such however I enjoy quiche. This is the ultimate! No crust, dairy, or egg. You’ve aloud me to enjoy delicious food and still follow my diet. THANK YOU.

2 Trackbacks