Yesterday’s sunset view from the train.
Although the train ride wasn’t bad at all (aside from the fact that there was no Wi-Fi), it feels good to be home. Next time I do a 15 hour train ride, I think I will try the sleeper car – the entire left side of my body is really sore from tossing and turning all night. While I was on the train, I was mentally going over all the things I love about Portland:
- tall lofty apartment buildings with store fronts on the ground level
- 2 coffee shops per block, coffee shops in stores, hotels, salons, and just about anywhere you can think of
- Living Room Theater; while sitting in a roomy and comfortable recliner chair, you can order from a full restaurant menu, order a drink from the bar, or enjoy a top-notch coffee
- nutritional yeast as a condiment at a restaurant
- bicycle fresh produce delivery service
- food carts (we need more of these in Sac)
- bike assembly area in the airport
- TriMet public transit system
- Powell’s Bookstore
- food, food, and more vegan food
- bike lanes
I’m sure Eric and I will be back. We want to explore the scenic and natural parts of the state and do some wine tasting.
Here is a little more show and tell from the trip.
My first “proper tea tasting” experience at Steven Smith Teamaker; tasting tea with the spoons and everything. The teas here were delicious.
Although we really don’t need more tea, we couldn’t help but get some to take back with us. Especially this Chai.
Lots of walking in the rain, and working up an appetite.
Stumbled upon an antique furniture shop, with imports from Turkey, India, Sweden, Morocco, France, Italy and more. Eric had a blast there.
Breakfast smoothie and fruit with a creamy cashew vanilla yogurt (which I am totally making at home). Absolutely delicious.
What’s a trip to Portland without visiting the breweries? I loved the Pumpkin Ale, but then again, I love pumpkin anything.
Caught in action – enjoying my Whole Bowl from the food cart. Eric had a Bratwurst with all the sides and we shared his hot apple cider.
Now, off to get this house in order. We don’t have a thing in the fridge and I’m going through apple withdrawals.
Oh and I just got my first birthday card in the mail from my parents and siblings in-law. It really made my morning